The last month has been really busy and my blog has been neglected. DH and I have been babysitting our daughter and her husband David’s property in Gingin while they were away. They have a few sheep and chucks, I managed to trip over a piece of wire in one of the animal pens and grazed both my knees and elbows which were very painful. On top of that I developed an allergy to something up there and ended up with a very itchy rash for a couple of weeks….not much fun. Everything has now settled down and over the last week I have been sewing like a mad woman.
I’m still testing various threads on my Bernina 820 and I must say I’m pleased with the results.
This sample is using Superior Monopoly thread with the Bottom Line thread in the bobbin. I used a universal 80/12 needle and threaded up through the special thread guide. My upper tension was set at .75 and sewed like a dream
The sample below is a feather traced from Sharon Schamber book. I stitched this using YLI 100wt silk thread with the same thread in the bobbin. The upper tension was at 2.25 using a sharp microtex 70/10 needle. This thread is beautiful to use.
The next sample uses Rasant thread which I usually use as a construction thread. I thought I’d see how it quilted up and I’m pleased with the result. This thread is a 40/3 ply, I used it in the bobbin also with my upper tension set at 2.25 and a Superior Titanium 70/10 topstitch needle. This is a freeform feather which I stitched as I went, I really enjoyed doing this!
I’m very busy at the moment with the QuiltWest exhibition of which I’m one of the convenors. The exhibition is in May, you can find details on the West Australian Quilters Associations’ website and also see the beautiful raffle quilt which we have made to raise funds for the Royal Flying Doctor. There is also a link to the WAQA blog on their website which is worth taking a look at.