Pieces of Pye

A machine quilters' passion

Leave a comment

New Project

Had to put my latest quilt aside to make a cushion for our eldest daughter to give to a friend. I must say cushions are not my forte. I managed to sew the back on inside out.

I am looking forward to doing some boro stitching tomorrow hopefully!



Page 45 again

I’m still pondering Page 45 as being a traditional quilter I find tackling a landscape style quilt quite daunting. However, I know it will be a fabulous learning experience so I an going to jump right in there and give it a shot.

I have been busy looking for a suitable image to work from and rather like this one of Wastwater in the Lake District.

Leave a comment

Page 45

At the first meeting  this year our group challenge began with each of us taking a magazine along to be popped in a bag. A page number was then selected at random, this was page 45. We then each took a magazine from the bag with the idea of using the images/articles on page 45 as inspiration for a quilt. You could not take the magazine you brought with you.
We have a year to complete this project and need to show the group  our progress each month.
Here is Page 45 of the magazine I chose.DSCN1001

Leave a comment

Machine Quilting – class updates

Was it really September when I last posted? It seems like yesterday, how time flies!

My New Year resolution was to be creative everyday, which I have managed to do so far this year!
This week I have been updating my samples for the machine quilting classes I am teaching this year. My first class will be gridwork design which is a follow on from my very successful Feathers and Fillers workshop. We will revisit some of the grids from that workshop as well as work on several new ones based on various grid types.

More photos to follow in the next few days

Leave a comment

Working on UFO’s

Much of my time is being spent at home recently while the dog recuperates after surgery. She needs to be confined for 6 weeks and carried outside at the moment. What better time to work on a few UFO’s.

The quilt on the sewing  machine is a jelly roll quilt which I made several years ago. ( The instructions for making this quilt can be on this blog). Photo of the quilt top here. I am quilting it all over using an irregular railroad track pattern.

Another quilt I found while rifling through my cupboards was this partially machine quilted demo quilt. I started this in about 2000 when I worked for a sewing machine company and used to demo machine quilting at shows. As she can see I never bothered to remove the markings on the unfinished blocks so after being left for more than 15 years they have turned brown. Really not sure what I am going to do about this yet!  I have never had this problem before and know from experience that water erasable pens are excellent so long as you wash the markings out within 6 months.

The close up photo shows what a mess the markings have made… lesson learnt!


1 Comment

Bernina 770QE using stitch 4


I am still exploring the stitches on the 770QE that are suitable for quilting. Most of the stitches are the same as the 820 so not too big a learning curve.

One of my favourite stitches on the 820 was stitch number 4 which is the same stitch on the 770QE.  I have therefore updated the post I did on the blog several years ago.

Not all the stitches on the machine are suitable for quilting. I thought I would try to feature a stitch  suitable for quilting with the dual feed every week on my blog. Not everyone is confident with free motion quilting so these stitches are can be used by those sewers who prefer to work with there walking foot.

Below are samples of variations of stitch 4 and how I stitched them. You can get your stitches to look like this by changing the stitch width and stitch length. These stitches are all 9mm wide.

Draw up either a horizontal or diagonal grid of your preferred  size. I used a 1″ grid for the sake of demonstration but you can use a 2″ or 3″ grid etc on your quilt.

  • Put the 20D open toe applique on and engage the dual feed.
  • The top row of stitching is the default setting for stitch 4 so no changes have been made.
  • The setting for the stitches on the horizontal grid are Width = 9mm and Length is 3.90
  • This grid can be sewn either as parallel lines or cross hatched, both variations are shown on the Sample.
  • Diagonal grid settings are:- Width 9mm and Length 3, you can see that by decreasing the stitch length the curves have become more wavy.
  • This grid can also be stitched out as parallel lines or cross hatched. The choice is yours!