As fabrics were all ready selected for 3 projects and 2 of them cut ready to begin, I began stitching this months projects yesterday.
The pattern for the first project is in the modern quilt workshop book which I own and includes curved piecing which I really enjoy doing.
I’ve had my Bernina sewing machine for a few years now and only just found the hover function which is very useful for any type of piecing.
I got all the blocks pieced yesterday and stitched a couple of rows this morning before heading out to see my daughter and family in the country now lockdown restrictions are being eased. Haven’t see them since end of February.
I have also started piecing the first blocks for Rachelle Denneny’s mystery quilt. I have sewn 11 blocks together and need to complete 53 more blocks by Friday when we get our second set of instructions. I wonder what the completed quilt will look like. I do love a mystery.
Not quite a quilt in a day but very nearly. I have been busy sorting my fabric lately and came across a few metres of William Morris prints that I bought several years, so I thought I would make a quick quilt following Joe Cunnningham’s style.
I attended Joe’s workshops at AQC last year and his ideas seem to be let’s see where the design takes you. Having done a few of Joe’s lesson I have noticed that he does have a recurring formula, that is cutting your strips at 5,1/2” 4,1/2” 3,1/2” 2,1/2” and 1,1/2”. It is quite easy to remember this formula once you have made a few quilts using this method.
I cut and made 50, 6,1/2” square blocks using Joe’s formula and following the instructions for his Fantasy Four Patch yesterday morning and laid them out in a design that I liked ready for sewing together.
In the afternoon I stitched the blocks together but because of a creative opportunity the design did not turn out the same as the original layout.
However, I prefer this design and will add the borders later today. In my estimation this quilt top will have taken about 8hrs to make including the addition of borders.