The Quilting Begins

There are 9 circles that make up this sample quilt and I have challenged myself to use a different design within each circle. I started quilting yesterday and the machine has run like a dream since I sorted the tension out. The only issues I have had are operator related. This happens when I start daydreaming or go to fast when doing minute designs. I usually quilt to music to develop rhythm but find I get lost in the music at times and then lose track of where I am going. As machine quilting can take intense concentration I take a break every 20 minutes to refresh the eyes and stretch.


Since I have started quilting the first circle I have really been enjoying working on this quilt. This quilt may not be perfect as there are a fair few creative design opportunities, but I am doing my best and I find my quilting is improving with each block which is satisfying.


The last image is the back of the quilt.

Thread Selection

Yesterday I auditioned the threads for my quilt. I selected 3 threads as you can see. The threads are all Glide 40wt. I wanted a contrasting thread so I could see the stitch quality. I also wanted to use Glide in the bobbin so the colour matched on both back and front of the quilt. My hope is the front and back of the quilt look as good as each other.

I finally decided on the lilac thread as I felt a subtle thread would look better and also overcome any creative quilting.
With the thread selected I moved on to quilting the major quilting lines, that is when I discovered a few tension issues as both the thread and fabric are very slippery. After trying many different tension settings, rethreading the machine, changing the needle and cleaning everything, I called Brad our local Bernina expert. Brad made a few suggestions, and also suggested a drop of oil … well I’d done that in the morning, however I tried and it and it did improve things no end but not 100%. I decided to loosen the lower tension another increment and low and behold the machine has run smoothly and has not missed a beat since.


I used the Westalee Circles on Circles ruler and the Line Tamer to anchor the major quilting lines and will use the Curved  Op Ruler for the minor lines before quilting in the fillers.

Wholecloth Quilt – join my journey

Having finished 2 UFO’s this year and completing an Australian quilt for my youngest daughter, I decided I would like to make a wholecloth quilt. Being a machine quilter this is one of my greatest passions.

I selected some beautiful shot cotton from my stash, this fabric was given to me by my friend Phil Thomas several years ago and I love it. The photograph below does not do it justice. First of all I had to mark the quilt.

I have chosen to use a repeating medallion design which I drew up myself last year with a view to making a wholecloth quilt.

You will see 2 different designs in the medallion and each will be used separately in the quilt. My goal for today was to mark and baste the quilt which I managed. My next goal is to select thread and quilt the major lines. More to follow in a few days.

2020 year of the UFO

I have been working on UFO’S ( unfinished objects) since early January of which I have plenty. About 8 in total. The reason I am working on UFO’s is because I got a Bernina Q20 a week before Christmas and wanted to test various thread combinations using the different modes on the machine.

The quilt below has been sitting in my cupboard for nearly 6 years and only needs the binding stitched on to complete. I kept the quilting simple on this quilt using stitch in the ditch and diagonal straight lines. I used SoFine in the bobbin and monopoly and Glide through the needle.

The second quilt has been in my cupboard since about 2003. My friend Julie gave me half a pack of 1930’s Scottie Dogs which I love. This quilt is now completed.  I once again used Glide thread. I free motion quilted the feathers and  did a little ruler work where needed. I really enjoyed quilting this quilt. I has a few short term goals during the quilting. After every 8 feather motifs I rewarded myself with 2 pieces of chocolate. The quilt was quilted in no time!

Dashing Dogz Update

I’m really enjoying working on this project, especially now that I have got to the quilting stage. I have decided to keep the the quilting simple as the feature of the quilt is the Dogz!

I have stitched the main blocks in the ditch with monopoly thread and I am quilting a row at a time, and have just about finished the first row. Still a long way to go, nevertheless a very satisfying project and a lovely way to spend a cold damp grey Perth day